Have you ever heard of this delicious sausage? You probably have if you are from the south or the Midwest, but I crave it. My grandma used to make this on Saturdays when she would cook up yummy fried breakfasts. But it is equally tasty cold on a sandwich with ketchup. Very similar to a meatloaf sandwich.
Well, I made a batch of it yesterday, just for that reason. To place on sandwiches. We are going on a road trip this evening and do not want fast food. So I decided to pack up a variety of meats and breads for a picnic in the mountains on our way to our destination.
I am going to share this tasty sausage with you.
1. Use a large saucepan with the bottom just covered with water to brown 1 lb of ground beef and 1 pound of ground pork in.
2. Use a potato masher to mash it in tiny pieces.
3. Add the spices of your choosing. I added sage, season salt, salt and pepper, paprika, crushed pepper flakes and garlic powder. I added all these to taste as well. We like things well seasoned, so I dumped a great deal in.
4. When browned, more like white brown, add your oatmeal. This is all done by sight. I added about a cup and a half, but it really is just to the consistency of a ground sausage mound.
5. When mixed and simmered together for about 5 minutes, take a bread pan or stone and place your sausage mixture in it. This is so it can take on a the form of your pan.
6. Chill your mixture for about 3 hours.
7. Slice and fry up to serve.
So truly delicious!
I hope you enjoy